I’ve had this draft sitting here waiting to be finished for a while when I realized how perfectly it fit with the In Others Words hop, so I just kind of combined and threw them together and last minute cause why not?
It’s summer so the only sport on is baseball and while I can’t watch an entire baseball game without needing distractions, I absolutely love going to games at great minor league/college ballparks. I mean, I grew up with this one, spent many a college afternoon here, and a few grad school spring’s here. I love the food, the beer, the fireworks post-game, the company, the ability to sit and just relax (because there is no relaxing when I watch football come fall). But my favorite thing? Players’ walk-up music.
Which, combined with the fact that I love riding to music, had me thinking – what if we got walk-up songs? Like entry circle in the SJ or waiting in the start box on XC? I’m 100% in support of this, just saying, okay?
I have a wide variety of music interests… like, I listen to a lot of different genres. And while I’m no music-hipster (I like Top 40 pop and Taylor Swift waaayyyy too much for that), I do have a talent for putting together a great playlist. I do mine seasonally, with additions for anything special. Mostly, I ride to whatever season’s playlist I feel like, but for this, I finally put songs together for a riding playlist just for Doc and me.
Explanations for 75 songs might take a while (too long) so I just pulled a few.
- Nice For What (Drake): my current favorite trot set song – the perfect beat and in general I love doing conditioning work to rap
- The Champion (Carrie Underwood): One of those ‘get out there, blood, sweat and tears’ songs. Perfect for pushing through no-stirrup work when I want to die.
- There She Go (Fetty Wap): Okay, bear with me… this is one of my favorite dressage school songs. It’s like, make that shit fancy.
- We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (T Swift): Reserved for when Doc is being a princess and I can’t deal any longer. Sometimes involves yelling-singing.
- Magic (B.o.b.): Dressage. For sure. Trots across the diagonals right here. Makes me feel like I’m riding Valegro.
- Good Feeling (Flo Rida): Warm up music here. The title says it all.
- Taking Care of Business (Bachman-Turner Overdrive): Trot sets/conditioning work. Getting business done. To a fun beat. Singing included with package.
- GDFR (Flo Rida): When I need a pump up. The last bit of two point and my legs hate me? Get psyched up before a big jumping lesson? This one.
- Red Hop Lollipop (mash-up Red Hot Chilipeppers, Lil Wayne & Kanye): One of my favorite mash ups – totally a beat I would go out to XC with
- Drake & Diane (mash-up Drake & John Mellencamp): Another top favorite and one I love dressaging to. All those DQs appalled at dressage to Drake and I’m like, “yeah, and?”
So, then what would be our walk-up music? I seriously can’t decide…
(PS if you have tiny human ears around, my playlists aren’t exactly… child friendly)
It could totally be Jump Around – would there be a better pre-SJ round song?
But I also feel like there’s not much that says “eventing” like Tubthumping…
Oops I Did It Again (Pulled to the Base)?
Nah, more like some Country Grammar because… Nelly. That could get us out of the start box.
Because there’s also a side for me that thinks if it’s going to be pump up, walk-up song, it should definitely be Drake or another solid rap song.
Then there’s the side of me who love nothing more than Auburn football season and totally needs it to be All the Above (yup, can still sing every word)
At the end of the day though, as much as I totally want it to be We Didn’t Start the Fire (life goal: memorize all the words), I don’t think there are a better first 20 seconds we could start to than the classic… Yo I’ll tell you what I want what I really really want
Oh man, I love the picture support!!
Thanks for joining in, just discovered your blog bc of it❤️
I love all of it. Especially Tubthumping, because Chumbawumba is life.
My entry song to SJ would definitely be “Highway to Hell,” and I need someone to play Disturbed’s “Down with the Sickness” as I head to the start box on XC.
I’m one of those weird people who have songs for everything — like you know how couples in high school had “their” song? Yeah… I still do that. My song with Moiya is Guns & Roses by Drew Baldridge and my song with Niko is Meant To Be by FGL.
SPICE GIRLS, HELL YES. I’m pumped to listen to this mix!
(When I was in high school/college I worked summer riding camp, and we did drills every week, so I will always think of the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks and “Ain’t Goin’ Down ‘Til the Sun Comes Up” when I think of riding music, ha.)
This was a super fun take on the hop! I fully support walk up songs. I’ve lost my mojo since I’m not riding, so I don’t know what mine would be currently… but still. Fully support! Not sure I could pull that off in the hunters… but maybe the equitation, right?
i dont really listen to music while riding but just thought thinking i need music in the barn….must do something about that….its so dusty in there i dont want to sit my phone in there to play (PLUS I still havent upgraded so my five year phone is DYING a slow death). Highway to hell was our song when we won in the Morgan Shows.
I love Spice Girls and Billy Joel so I fully support all your choices 😉 HA