Ever have those rides where you’re like, well damn, that’s the best that’s ever been? Where you can really look at it and see improvement, know you couldn’t have done that (or at least done it as well) x amount of time ago?
That was this weekend’s lesson.
It. Was. Awesome.
We don’t often get to have courses set in our arena, due to the sharing of it we do with lots of other disciplines, but leading up to our CT next weekend (!!) we get one to school over. It was a total freakin’ blast too.
Was it perfect? Oh absolutely not. Among other things, I:
- Forgot to rollback the first time through
- Tried to make a turn to the first jump that the laws of physics do not allow on the second time
- Completely lost all pace down the first line at one point… like, I think we were moving backwards?
- Put 6 in the 5, like almost every damn time, even when the 5 was RIGHT THERE and SO PRETTY and DAMNIT HOLLY RIDE
- Am physically incapable of keeping my leg forward
But, when I think about the fact that I’ve been riding this horse since mid-July and hadn’t jumped a course in 10 years until the last few months?
Feels pretty damn perfect.
Nothing felt big or intimidating or scary, which is a fantastic feeling. I have so much trust in this horse, more so than I’ve ever had, except with Lucy, who is basically the exception to all rules ever.
Our first CT course back in August (at crossrails lolllzz) was a little bit of a hot mess – I leaned, he ignored me, we had no half-halt and we kind of just ran around on the forehand over small bumps. We had a rail. At 18″. Due to Doc being like, “Woman. This is THE DUMBEST. NO. I AM NOT PICKING UP MY FEET OVER THAT. It does not deserve my respect.” 4 faults… at crossrails.
We r gud eventers guyz.
But this… two months later (almost to the day actually) and things were so much better. I (sort of) remembered to sit up, we had a half-halt (!), we did not careen around anywhere, I was able to have input and it really felt like, whoa, damn, I’m doing the thing.
In case you like watching starter level courses for some reason?
- Sit the eff up Holly. Collarbone. UP.
- Leg. Underneath. Self. Forward.
- Better collection/pace – get the horse underneath himself so he’s not just pulling himself over with the front. Fine at this level, but let’s fix it now.
- If you see the freakin’ 5, get the freakin’ 5!
omg yes i know that feeling and LOVE that feeling!!! y’all look fantastic and like you’re really settling into a great partnership! also, long horse problemz? yes i has those too lol…..
It’s just the best when you can really trust your horse. That’s what I miss most about jumping Rio. Jampy is honest to jump, but he’s so spooky you can’t really relax ever.
You two look great! Good luck at your HT!